Skip to main content

TeachMe 1st Grade Ipad App Review

Since I got my iPad, I didn't buy that many apps, since I can get MANY apps for free. But I did get this one, because someone recommended it. I got the TeachMe 1st Grade version and here are some pics of what we have been doing with it.

The First-Grader seems to enjoy it enough. He wants to earn his "coins".

Basically you go to "school" where you learn about Math (addition and subtraction), Spelling and Dolch Sight words and you get coins for the work you do.

Then you get to spend them. You can buy shapes, things for an aquarium or stickers. Ian is investing his loot in the aquarium. He has 3 goldfishes now. Kind of hard to make him stick with his coins so that he can get other fishes (goldfish cost 5 coins and others 10).

Well, before he got clever, he did spend 1 coin on a sticker. =)


Here are my thoughts on this app:

1. Love the motivation
Earning at school and buying fish and you get to feed them, etc? I think it's a wonderful idea and a nice motivation for the app. Gives it a wonderful variety.

2. Love the TeachTech
For the answers, the student "writes" and then the letters or numbers shows. I like this feature A LOT better than the tap on the letters or numbers way most other apps do it. Ian is kind of "forced" to have a better penmanship too since the iPad needs to recognize his handwriting. =)

I esp love the flexibility of TeachTech. For eg, sometimes Ian write "O" in the wrong direction, and it recognizes it. Or he'll write "8" with two circles and it recognizes it.

3. Love the flexibility
3 skills (4, if you break up Math) in one app, and you can choose how many sums for a coin...I do like it.

4. Wish the levels go up a little faster
It's at a REALLY baby level for Ian now...and he has done quite a lot...from his progress sheet, he's still at the very low level, so I'm expecting things to get more challenging, but it does take a LONG time. =) Yet, maybe if it gets there too soon, he'll ditch the app too soon too?

5. Wish for more variety of questions
The questions get really routine after the first 3. They repeat. I wish there are more variety.

I'll give a 5 star for this app, for the multi-function and creative factor.

You can buy it here for only $0.99 now! (that's another love I suppose)
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Resources: Sesame Street Games

I love the Sesame Street Games ...I think they are the best for preschoolers. They teach important concepts, at the same time, making computer skills real easy. For eg, there is no "click and drag"...that's hard for them...there's "click" "move" "click". There are some games Ian really likes...(click on photo for the games) That's the Wheels on the Bus song (you press the keys foe interactive movements) Patterns. Seasons. Fun for the kids. Walking the dogs...numbers. This is alltime favorite. First you make a pitcher of lemonade. Then depending on how many monsters come, you click however many cups. I love it!

Science 2015/2016: Human Body Recap

We really had fun learning about the Human Body this year. I thought it would be meaningful to consolidate our learning. We enjoyed the Body Book more than I thought we would. I did do most of the cutting though. We also enjoyed the different videos we watched and the experiments. I think this is the most successful science year yet. The five senses Tongue the Ear The Skin The Eye Skeleton Joints Long Bone Tooth Brains Spinal Cord Digestive System Stomach The Lungs The Heart The Urinary System The Muscle Look through all our experiments and videos here .

MFW Kindergarten S-Sun Unit 2012

  Tactile "s" (we didn't get Laurie, we got the $1 from Staples. ;P)   Sun Dot-to-dot   Arranging the cards and singing A-a-apple song   Handwriting     A collaborative project: The Sun Plate   Finished project (it is good to have ONE project in the house)   Big brother wanted to do his own version   Yup! Back to the cutting and pasting   I really like the new Math pages   She was quite good in the drawing page.   Morning Board (Yup! I definitely make things A LOT easier for me this time around, compared to here )   Earth and Sun   Books we read PRESCHOOL   The pre-preschooler was very happy she did the puzzle   Dot-a-dot worksheet   Shadow game (a new folder game we got here . Will use it for leaves too) Resources for S-Sun, see here